Monday, May 7, 2012

What will YOU do?


I am finding myself short on words tonight. 

If you've read this blog at all, or if you know me, you know I have a thing about people telling their stories and having their stories heard.  I came across this blog post tonight on BlogHer.  For me (and, I'm assuming for you, too), it's a difficult and painful story to read.  For me, though (and in my mind, for everyone), it's important to read it and witness that this shit is REAL and it's happening everywhere from kindergarten to graduate school to the work place.  It's important to read it and sit and think about what YOU are going to do to make things different.  Because you know someone who has dealt with this, or something similar.  Or maybe you dealt with it yourself.  What are you going to do about it--for you?  For Gaby?  For all of the other women, or men, or children like you and your friends and your children or your future children?


2 comments:

  1. Know what sucks is, even if we do teach our kids compassion, etc it almost makes them more a target for those who don't. So it's almost a fine balance...teach compassion and teach them because of that how to get bullied, or teach them it's a dog eat dog world and to fight tooth and nail. At least, that's what I'm seeing in the public schools and with my own kids.
    How I'm trying with my own kids is attempting to have them in an environment that's "safe" as possible for their schooling and that has some of the same beliefs as I. It will cost me an arm and a leg, but hopefully it will be worth it.
    I work at a public school, with junior high students. A population that can be the worst at being jerks to their peers, to put it mildly. Every time one of the kids holds the door for me, or picks up something without being asked, or lets me go first through a door, etc. I say 'thank you sir/ma'am'. Yes, I call junior high kids sir. And the other day, I overheard it. I almost missed it as it wasn't very loud, but one of the kids said 'thank you sir' to another.
    So, maybe with lots of conscious effort, it is possible to change even a tiny bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it. It was very disturbing. I have no idea what the answers are but I hope that mother FIGHTS and gets that kid out of there!!! Why are there no measures in place to address what would have been a criminal offense both times if the kid was just a little older?

    ReplyDelete