Monday, July 6, 2015

Day 30: I was going to write a different poem.

I feel like I should say something here...but I think the poem says it all.  I WAS going to write a different poem.  I'm frustrated that I wrote this one.

Also, it felt important to me that I post this with a recording of how it sounds in my head.  I don't know why.  But I did it, if you want to listen to it.  (I hope it works).

Also also, this is day 30 of my 30 days of poetry.  It's a sucky note to end on.  I'm going to write something tomorrow.  Maybe a poem + a little 30 days of poetry reflection.  I can't end 30 days of poetry on the fact that I was going to write a different poem.

I've done 30 days...what's 31, right?

**********

I was going to write a different poem

I was going to write a different poem.

I was going to write a poem about 
feeling safe, about the way
I walked through the crowd and my body 
did not panic, my heart 
did not stumble over self-doubt and old memories,
I was going to write a poem
about the way I feel vibrantly alive
when I can know that I am loved,
I was going to write about the way
I feel that sometimes now.

I was going to write a poem, but first
I went to the store,
composing the poem in my head, as I
stood in front of the canned tomatoes, I was
writing a poem about
love and
safety and
comfort and
what it feels like to feel whole for the first time
in a near eternity,
but my body
was not whole.
My body
was just another display of pieces
that are put together like ingredients
for your favorite dish.

I don't want to write this poem.
I am so tired of writing the same
fucking poem of how
my body
is not for sale, and
my body
is not yours to lay claim to, and
my body
is not fruit, is not produce, is not
something to be grabbed off the shelf,
I am tired
of writing my hearts stumblings.

I was going to write a poem about feeling safe - 
I am writing a poem every day:
it hadn't even been 24 hours before
the feeling had come and gone.
Before I was reminded that I am nothing more than a commodity.
Before I was reminded that safe is a privilege not all of us are afforded
at the bar
at the park
in our homes
at the grocery store just buying
a 98 cent can of tomatoes.
Before I was reminded that unsafe is where they want me
because it's the only way they can keep control,
before I was turned into a damaged head of lettuce:
squeezed,
and then cast aside.

For what it's worth:
I was going to write 
a different poem.




No comments:

Post a Comment