Monday, September 2, 2013

It's Autoember and I'm pretty nervcited...how about you?


Sometimes, I wonder if things happen solely because I am a writer.  I wonder if there is, in fact, some sort of puppet master above pulling strings to make things happen just so I will have things to write about.  There just aren't any other explanations sometimes, I think. 

I was considering doing another "write every day" deal in September.  It seems like as good a time as any to do another.  I was hoping to continue writing regularly after July, but that just didn't happen (at all) (obviously).  That "30 days to make a habit" business is crap.  Also, it's getting dark earlier and I need something to do at night.  And September only has 30 days.  And I have new and exciting things going on this month.  And September starts with a holiday, which is a perfect time to start because I have something to write about.  Also, I have a crazy story I want to write.

As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that today is actually September 2nd and not September 1st like I thought.  That's a bummer.  Lucky for you, I'm too lazy honest to go back and erase everything up there and pretend like I knew I was starting on the second day of the month.  I didn't.  We'll just lay that out there and keep moving.  But I WILL post until October 2nd.  That's fair, right?  I'll make my own month.  We'll call it Autoember.  You can never say that I struggle with cognitive flexibility.

(On that note, I asked one of the kiddos I work with if he is excited about the beginning of the school year.  He hesitantly said, "...yeah..." and then added, "and I'm nervous, too." 

"I think that's the way most kids feel right now," I said.  "Everybody is probably feeling a little bit nervous and a little bit excited."

"Yeah," he said.  "I think I'm nervcited." 

I wanted to say, "I think I spend most of my life in some state of nervcitedness, buddy," but I didn't.  It is, however, the perfect word in my opinion). 

I think I got distracted.  Where was I?  Oh yeah.  It's September 2nd, I'm starting 30 days of blog posting, and sometimes, things happen just so I can write about them.  We're off to a good start.

Up tomorrow...the story of my mini-vacation.  It involves me, my dog, my sister, the "Ford-one-ZEDO" man, and the story of how a marble-topped desk and the movie "Kissing Jessica Stein" saved the day.  It's probably best that I wait until tomorrow to tell that story.  It wasn't funny yesterday, it's only slightly funny now, and I'm hoping that, by tomorrow, I find it some version of weirdly scarily hilarious.  That's actually probably not going to happen.  It's a scary story.  But it'll be a good story to write, regardless.  .

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad we're both doing a post a day for a month so we can give encouragement or ass-kickings. (I just cheat and post-date most of my posts since I write in the middle of the night. You're flexible with your months; I'm flexible with my days. I'll still write 30 posts in September.)

    ReplyDelete