Friday, June 19, 2015

Day 13: No poem, forgive me

Day 13 of my 30 day poetry challenge...and the most I've got tonight is a poem about not writing a poem.  My poem last night took everything out of me, I think.  

So here is a poem about not writing a poem.  I hope, if you're feeling as I do, that you find the poetry in breathing tonight, too.

No poem, forgive me

There are times
that are inappropriate for writing:
when your heart cannot quiet
when you cannot find thoughts
when your throat tightens
and your eyes sting
and no words follow.

You should not write when you fail to notice
the breeze,
the time,
the way your stomach burns with hunger,
the way your chest is begging
for one full breath of air
when one more piece of news
will take your last breath away
when you know
that one more headline will dissolve you
into something you cannot find words to describe
when your heart weighs so heavy
your skin hurts with the weight of it...

Forgive me.
Tonight, I will sit here breathing
finding the poetry in the way I imagine you
trusting the world enough
to do the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment